Twitter

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Super Con Day 1

Today was the first day of Super Con.


As an interesting side note, my best friend and I found Indian comic books - Shiva, Devi, and Saddhu.

My best friend and I walked in and I almost right away I saw... Vic Mignogna talking to some people.  O...M...G... It was funny - I freaked out.  I couldn't think straight.  I was trying to figure out what to say.  I had no idea how to approach him.  I've never been to a convention before - comic, anime, or anything else.

In the end, I just walked up and said hi.  We had an actual conversation (unlike what a lot of celebrities would do, I'm sure), in which:
  • He said my name is "beautiful"
  • I told him about how I'm an aspiring novelist (and why that's probably why I appreciate FMA so much)
  • He admitted he hasn't really been keeping up with FMA Brotherhood
And some other stuff as well.  I asked for a picture and he gave me a hug in it.  Awww.  He really is a lovely person.

At the FullMetal Alchemist Panel, he answered a lot of questions, spoke on the voices of my four favorite characters (Edward Elric, Fai Flourite, Tamaki Suou, and Dark Mousy - SO AWESOME), and talked about how he's just a fan like everyone else.  He told us about his Star Trek obsession (i.e. how he used to record the episodes on audio cassettes and listen to them when he went to bed).

I love how he stressed the fact that he's just another fan.  He also attributes a lot of his success to God, which is another thing I think is amazing.  He came off as being friendly, charismatic, and humble.  I can't imagine anyone ever meeting him and not liking him.  Even my best friend (who's only seen part of Ouran so far) found him to be friendly and funny.

I was thinking about celebrities in general.  What's so incredible about them?  Why do we go insane when meeting one?  Why do we take pictures of them and with them and read about their lives?  They're just normal people, right?

Yes and no.  The true celebrities, I believe, are those whose work we appreciate.  When multiple people appreciate the work and the person responsible for the work, it creates a sort of bond.  They have a connection now, through this celebrity.  Not only do they have something to discuss, they also have something in common that they like.  I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but I feel like fame doesn't just bring glory to the person who is famous - it also serves to unite people in love for certain celebrities (and unfortunately) in hate for others.

Celebrities need to remain down-to-earth and appreciate the fans who rose them to renown.  Without the fans, they really wouldn't exist.  Vic Mignogna is a great example of someone who has managed to remain down-to-earth and really is incredible.  I am truly thankful to have been able to meet this person.  I feel that his fanship must increase when he goes to conventions, just because he is such a genuinely good person.

Other than that, I think we need to believe that celebrities are still human and not be so harsh to some of them.

I don't know what I'm saying anymore.  I'm so tired.

0 comments: