Twitter

Monday, May 18, 2009

Infallibility

It's good to be trusting, but not too trusting.  I guess I'm too trusting - or up until now maybe I've been too naive to question the way society is structured.  Or maybe that's not it at all.  Maybe I don't want to question it because, even if it isn't perfect, at least it functions well.


I was just thinking about the fact that even doctors make mistakes.  Not an epiphany by any measure, but just something that I've never really thought about before.  Feeling sick?  Oh, just go to the doctor.  Of course the doctor will know what's wrong.  However, in reality, doctors do make mistakes sometimes - unlike, say, House (although I haven't watched any of this season, so I can't say if he does or doesn't make errors in this one).

I'm not trying to single out doctors.  I just mean people in general.  In any profession.  No matter how much education they've had or how high of a degree they hold.  They can still mess up.

I guess I'm trying to say that it's important not to put blind faith in anyone, but take everything with a grain of salt.  Cliches, yes, but they're cliches for a reason - because they make sense.

0 comments: